East Lothian- The True
Spiritual Home of the Spitfire
Luftwaffe pilots dubbed the Firth of Forth ‘suicide corner’ after falling to Scots air aces – eight months ahead of ‘the big one’.
On the afternoon of 16th October 1939 the first Spitfires were in the skies around the Firth of Forth. Intelligence had brought, first, Edinburgh’s 603 squadron “Yellow Section” and soon after,their “Red Section” into contact with a German Junkers JU88 dive bomber, of the Elite 1/KG30 unit.